Week One

July 6th to July 12th

For pictures taken each day, please visit the individual blog posts under “Daily Logs.”

July 6th, By Conner

People describe the adrenaline and excitement of going traveling as if one becomes a giddy child standing before the awe inspiring gates of Mr. Wonka’s chocolate factory. The general sentiment, received from one who has heard stories of but never traveled much of the earth, would be that the experience is utterly enthralling. This was not the case.

A long flight with a mediocre meal, a three hour line in a government run fortress, and then forty five minutes of looking at concrete rushing by the window of a train on the tube. Not exactly candy to the minds of modern women and men. However, to confide the truth of my attention as we arrived, I could not help but notice that the feeling in the air was a noticeably new flavor. Peoples demeanor was far more relaxed and chipper than ever id seen a city goer be. The greenery was not few nor far between, and everything existed with a mixed sense of purpose and beauty, rather than the harsh utility of American architecture and building.

I imagine introducing people to a city is much like a chess game. One must not turn off the guests’ instincts to explore, but you must still help them avoid unpleasant things that would turn them away from the expedition that is the city. Dr. Schmitz’s first move was to drop our luggage at our residence, for which we were all grateful. No fun in toting a brick about a busy street. We proceeded to a fabulous lunch where I ate something I normally would never try. It was a lamb wrap with cream cheese. Such is my small and flirtatious indulgence to my own sense of adventure. I knew it would grow with time, but one must start small.

After being refreshed with our meal we took to sitting in front of the most visited art museum in the world. We sat on the grassy hill side going over our course work ahead and the meaning of who we are, such things are always present in conversations with Dr. Schmitz, and then we entered the Tate Modern. I was so enthralled with the building alone that we were nearly lost in its mazes for the day. We descended to the basement where we found an art exhibit, I believe it was called ’40 Voices,’ and it entreated us to an expansive landscape of sound in the depths of a massive concrete bunker like room that reverberated such beautiful music into multitudes of experiences. Thousands of different audioscapes experienced at the movement of only a few inches.

To contrast, we then went to the tenth floor of the Tate modern building. Proceeding through a black elevator with great doors such that it looked like the entrance to a nuclear control room or a vault one would see in a movie. Upon the tenth floor we were treated to a view of London that I’m sure is rivaled by few and surpassed by none. The feast which I there engorged myself held flavors of architecture and history I had only ever experienced through the lens of an author or a camera. Juxtaposing the two in my mind I found I learned a great deal about not only the city itself, but how the people chose to represent it to those who have never been there. Further, as we left the beautiful balcony of the Tate Dr. Schmitz alluded to the similarities between the cacophony of information that was the view and the infinite number of experiences present in the sound room in the basement. I saw looks from the group that ranged from somber to confusion, and immediately wanted to discuss, but alas there was not time.

We left the Tate and walked along the river Thames for a bit. There we found a number of street performers including a poet for hire. We could pay him whatever we liked and he would write us a poem. A.J. suggested a poem about morbid clocks. Given five minutes the work was produced and he read it aloud for us. Satisfied, we pushed onward and discovered our proximity to the globe. After this minor tour to help us get out bearings we finished the day. We all spent the evening a little differently and therefore I will not speak for us all. On my part, I enjoyed a meal at a restaurant called Wagamama with the lovely company of many in our group. Later I proceeded to play pool downstairs in the lounge and brought the day to a close.

July 7th, By Tyler

We met Dr. Schmitz at 9:30 outside of our residence who gave us our verbal itinerary and opening remarks for the day. From there we walked over to a bench near the base of Millenium Bridge and Ryan presented his expert topic of the River Thames (pronounced Tems). He told us that it was the longest river in England and it stretches 215 miles. Also, he mentioned that last year, to commemorate the 350th anniversary, the City of London built a raft and reenacted the Great Fire of 1666. All while he was telling us this, we, by chance, had a historian sitting next to us who explained to us a little bit about the River Thames (agreeing with Ryan’s presentation) and told us to check out the Blitz memorial.

After we walked across the bridge, we stopped just outside of St. Paul’s Cathedral to observe the Blitz memorial dedicated to the firefighters who helped protect the cathedral during WWII and to hear Conner give his expert topic on Sir Christopher Wren. He explained that Wren, the designer and architect of St. Paul’s Cathedral, was originally a professor of astronomy. After the Great Fire of 1666, Wren redesigned and had plan to rebuild the entire city, but got rejected, we learned. However, some of his ideas were accepted (including St. Paul’s Cathedral). He pointed out the features on the cathedral that made it innovative for its time (like a pilaster-a square-shaped column that serves as decoration into the wall and serves no support).

Following Conner’s presentation, we strolled into St. Paul’s Cathedral to get ready for an individual tour of the building. However, to our surprise, Dr. Schmitz was able to score us a tour with a guide because of knowledge on our expert topics of Wren (Conner) and Admiral Lord Nelson (Mitch). Our tour guide’s name was Chris Alan, and he gave us an extensive, behind-the-scenes tour. He gave us a brief history of the Reformation and the establishment of the Church of England (based off of Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn). The St. Paul’s Cathedral we were staring at (different from the original one built in 604 and burned in the Great Fire) was rebuilt and opened by 1697. We then went down to a chamber where, when you look up, you see and infinite glare of spiral staircases, and the amazing geometric way the stairs are placed to support each other. We learned that an bell, called Old Paul, had been living at the top of the south tower for a while and is dated back to 600 years ago. Once we went back upstairs, Mr. Alan pointed out the incredible, hand-carved architecture and the memorial of the Duke of Wellington on top of his horse, Copenhagen. Then, we got to the center of the long-cross shaped building and looked up at the dome, which was painted in monochrome by James Thornhill. Eventually, we entered the American chapel (where American culture was blended with the older architecture. In this area, it was a strictly silent, or sotto voce, zone for the remembrance of the American soldiers who lost their lives in WWII and were stationed in the U.K.(there was a book with every soldier’s name listed; the Book of Remembrance).  Our tour ended in the crypts where we saw the tombs of Sir Christopher Wren (whose last line on his epitaph read, “if you seek his memorial, look around you”), the Duke of Wellington, and Admirable Lord Nelson (whose body was preserved in brandy). Before we parted with Mr. Alan, he reminded us of the three most important things to remember about this tour: 1) It’s a Protestant church 2) It’s “an incredible piece of baroque architecture” (he defined baroque as classical architecture with ‘attitude’) and 3) It’s been the great and good of London for the past 300 years.

We then parted ways with Mr. Alan and all went up to the tip-top of the masterpiece. The full experience (down and up) took an hour, and there were no lifts (elevators). It was all leg-power, sweat, and the eventual victory selfie to get us up all of the steps. When we declined to the ground floor, Schmitz walked us through the Temple Bar and over to Postman’s Park to view the hero tiles (which commemorated ordinary people who died saving lives but might be forgotten if the memorial was not there). Next, the Barbican Theatre to get Conner and my tickets to The Tempest. It was here that everyone else caved in and bought tickets, as well.

Post-Barbican, we all went to Pizza Express to enjoy a nice, light lunch. After recharging, we went to the Museum of London where Dr. Schmitz dropped us off and left us for the rest of the day. After spending about an hour in the museum, I left to take a stroll around the areas we were at today and exchanged currency before heading home. Mitch and Ryan followed later. The rest of the group got ice cream, and Nigel and Conner experienced an “amazing” street-performing guitarist before coming back to our housing.

For dinner, a few of us went to the pub for our first fish and chips experience. Nobody complained but we have a lot of fish to try. After our meal, we all walked along the riverside path and strolled along the Southwark and Millenium bridges. Ryan and A.J., who did not attend, just relaxed for the rest of the night.

July 8th, by Nigel

Today we were broken down into groups, each group assigned designated parts of the city to walk and create a tour to later take the other groups on. Each group was given a small map of the immediate area in which the tour would take place and an informational packet on important buildings, monuments, and other places of note. The groups would all discovered that the maps provided were out of date to encouraging them to find other sources of information. We were set loose to learn, problem solve, and discover on our own. The only time limit being that we had to arrive back in time to attend the play Women Beware Women that evening at the Camden People’s Theatre.

Team Fleet Street – Burns, A.J, and Mitch.

The group met at the downstairs of our residence and ventured out across Blackfriar’s Bridge to scout their tour destination. They walked down to St. Mary-le-Strand, the first location marked on their informational packet.

They walked down to St. Clemet Danes, taking notes on all assigned buildings and keeping track of their route. After visiting the Danes they discovered the underground loos. They went underground to check them out but they discovered that they would have to pay to use them so they decided against using them and went back up above ground.

They walked down Fleet Street and as they continued their tour to The George, an original tea salesroom dating back to 1706 and the Wig and Pen Club at house number 230. After discovering these sites they found “The Griffin,” the site of Temple Bar which used to be a gate into the City of London. Talking amongst themselves they continued walking down Fleet Street and found the oldest private bank in England that has been operating since 1671, Child’s bank. They arrived at Middle Temple Lane, a road which currently features a gatehouse to a private community now, it was closed due to it being a weekend, which caused them to detour around to find a way to take into this community.

After a long walk they discovered the home of Oliver Gold Smith and The Temple church. The area being quiet and a constant sound of a crow hawking in the background creeped the group out and Burns decided have the group leave. Heading for the house of Dr. Samuel Johnson which is now a museum that you have to pay to get in. They saw the statue of Johnson’s cat, Hodge and took a short break.

After a few moments of rest they completed the assigned a made their way back to the residence for dinner, running into Kelly and myself along the way.

Team Covent Garden – Hannah, Tyler, Conner.

Their team had the furthest to travel to scout their location. Providing the added challenge of having to navigate the tube (underground subway) on their own. Fortunately, Hannah has previously traveled to London and others had picked up the system quickly. As they ventured out exploring the area of the assignment they ran into some unexpected joys along the way. First was a quick stop off for some chocolate at one of Hannah’s favorite locations, hotel chocolate. Which she says is a truly life changing experience that will ruin American chocolate for you. They also came across several street performers in the area, from singers, dancers, clowns, and so much more.

Team City Central – Kelly and Nigel

We crossed over Millennial Bridge to begin our journey. Using the provided map to find our first few locations was not overly difficult but we quickly discovered that the map was inaccurate. Fortunately for us we had traveled nearby the previous day to see St. Pauls’ Cathedral with the group and had seen an information booth along the way. We made our way there and picked up several maps of the area to use as reference against the one provided. After that it was relatively smooth sailing as we made our way around the area.

We enjoyed several sites along our path, including but not limited to the Mermaid Theatre, Museum of London, the Barbican, several Churches, and even a bust of William Shakespeare which was dedicated in honor of two of his close friend Heminge and Condell. These two men are most known for being the first to compile William Shakespeares work and publish the first folio edition of his work. After the Shakespeare monument we made our way to the Barbican Centre.

The Barbican is a large arts center in central London. It houses two theatres, a movie theater, concert hall, and art gallery and even a library. Those of us in the states may recall due to Benedict Cumberbatch’s performance of Hamlet there not long ago. We had a few struggles along our journey but nothing that we could not solve with a few minutes with the modern map or by asking someone along the path. The day was very pleasant and we enjoyed the freedom provided by the assignment. We even gave ourselves a goal of seeking out more interesting ways to get from place to place rather than just taking major roads. This led us to interesting places that were not marked on our packet. Adding to our overall experience and hopefully making it a little more fun for the group when we give them our tour. On our way back to our residence we ran into the Fleet Street team and join them for a late lunch.

Women Beware Women

After returning, everyone slipped in a little rest before meeting with Professor Schmitz and heading to Women Beware Women. We jumped on the tube together and after a few train switches and a brief walk we arrived at the Camden’s Peoples Theatre. Outside Ryan presented his expert topic on the theatre. We learned the theatre was established in 1994 by struggling artists who set out to make a place for other struggling artist. Interestingly enough the theatre was original inside a pub! Which certainly would have made for interesting shows. Today they still strive to help struggling artists by providing classes, workshops, working with colleges, and creating several theatre festivals such as the sprint festival. I also presented my own expert topic on the play itself!

The play was written by Thomas Middleton, though no date is entirely confirmed the most accepted date for its first publication is 1621. Middleton was a prolific playwright during the Jacobean period and is most known for his work The Changling, and A Game of Chess. Women Beware Women only know becoming more readily praised for its subtly details that had been missed previously. In many ways the play is a comment on morality, with individuals of high social statues indulging in greed, passion, and lust. Their desire lead them down dark paths which end tragically for all involved. It is thought that this play was a remark on the nobles of the Italian renaissance. The play hosts a number of interweaving characters of plots. In an attempt to explain this I had people take on one of the characters. They drew metal nuts which had what character they were playing. As I explained the plot each person took on their role and moved about the space as to give a visual of how the relationships were constantly shifting and changing. After Ryan and I presented we saw the play which was performed by drama students from Liverpool. The performance was striking and left everyone with a lot to think about as we made our journey back to the residence. If you are interested in the performance of the play than keep an I out for my review coming soon to the play review section of the blog.

July 9th, by Mitch

Our fourth day here in London began in the morning where we all met for breakfast downstairs where we all enjoyed a nice early morning meal. We then left the hotel to be at the tube at 8:45 am which took us to the area around West End where Tyler, Conner and Hannah gave their walking tour. The tour started in front of Hippodrome Casino in Leicester Square where the three talked about the Wyndhams Theater named after Charles Wyndham. They then led us to Patisserie Valerie, Hannah’s favorite place to eat. We didn’t stop there for we had an entire tour to walk. The tour led us to the theatre which is home to Harry Potter and the Cursed Child play, the Palace Theatre. We stopped for a bit so Ryan could give his expert topic about Lord Shaftesbury. Ryan, or “Burns” as we like to call him, discussed how Shaftesbury was abused and neglected which formed depression and that he came from an upper-class family. He went on to explain that we as students and scholars should care about Shaftesbury because there is an avenue named Shaftesbury Avenue as well as Shaftesbury Theatre which is home to Motown: The Musical. After Ryan’s topic our three tour guides led us down to Tower Court and showed us the Ambassadors and St. Martins Theater, home of The Mousetrap, the longest running show on West End in London and has 550 seats. The Mousetrap was written by Agatha Christie, opened in 1952 and moved to St. Martins in 1974. After this brief stop our guides led us down to the Seven Dials where Conner gave information on the Cambridge Theater, home of Matilda. The Cambridge Theatre was built in 1930 and has been remodeled in 1950 and 1987 and its architecture is in response to the Royal Music Hall. We then continued walking and the guides led us down to Neals Tardy, which is good for shopping and is home for the best coffee in London. They then led us to Donmar Warehouse which at first was not a theatre. It was from 1961-1976 a rehearsal space and then a studio theatre in 1977-1981 and from 1982 onward it has been a theatre. After this, our guides led us down to Neil Street where Dr. Schmitz and I had a short little conversation about Daniel Day-Lewis and his retirement. She understands why he retired and shared a little story of how he once played Hamlet on stage and that he collapsed in the middle of performance and his understudy, Jeremy Northam had to take his place but need Day-Lewis’ boots, which had to be taken off of his feet while he sat there crying. Our conversation ended as we stopped at the Real Garden which replaced Kembles Pub which was owned by the family Kembles. After this, we were led to The Duchess theatre, built in 1929 and it housed the shortest run of a show, which did not make it past opening night and it ended after intermission.

After this we took a short chocolate break in St. Pauls Courtyard where we discussed the play that we saw the night before, Women Beware Women. We as a group agreed that the Widows death scene made everyone uncomfortable and AJ mentioned the use of music was the most interesting quality to him, especially the Imperial March to the song, “Take Me to Church.” Kelly discussed that the choreography was very tight and we as a group felt the actress who played the mother would most likely to be contacted by an agent. After this break we continued with our tour, passed the London Transport Museum as well as Rules restraint, the oldest one in London. After a lengthy walk, we stopped at Anne Franks tree, which was planted in 2001 and was dedicated to Sir Ben Kingsley who funded the project after playing Otto Frank in a made for television film about Anne Frank. The group were then led to The Arts Theatre which was built in 1927 and housed the premiere of Waiting for Godot. After this brief informational stop, we were led to the National Portrait Gallery where I gave my expert topic on the Gallery. I explained how it housed the most portraits in the world as well the Chandos portrait of William Shakespeare. My event was that I developed a scene with Kelly and I performing a scene of a gruesome murder-suicide which occurred there in 1909. The victims were John ad Nancy Dawson, both Americans and John first shot his wife and shot himself saying that the he no longer felt a reason to live. John was later declared insane and I ended my topic and we continued across the street where AJ gave his expert topic about Edith Cavell. He gave us some brief information about how she served people her entire life, lived in Brussels and was part of an underground lifeline for wounded allied soldiers. She was caught and murdered by firing squad in 1915. For AJs event, he read the last known words of Cavell, which were very beautiful indeed and I am very glad that AJ shared her words with us in his topic. After AJ gave his topic we were led to the statue of Henry Irving who represents English classical theatre and our tour came to an end.

After our tour, we as a group went into the National Portrait Gallery to see the Chandos portrait of Shakespeare as well as the many other portraits in the Gallery and she departed us. We were to choose a portrait and write about our experiences of the portrait. Once we were finished there we went to a very nice Italian restaurant and filled up on food. After we ate, Hannah, who has been to London before, led us to where we could buy tickets for any upcoming shows that we wished to see. Ryan, Conner and I bought tickets to Bat Out of Hell, Tyler and AJ bought some for Tape Face, and Hannah bought one for 42nd street. We will be seeing them on Monday July 10th on our off day. We returned to our residence for some rest and relaxation and went to the Shakespeare Globes production of Romeo and Juliet. Before the show AJ gave his expert topic on, the director of the show that night, Daniel Kramer. He said some brief information but he explained later that he would most likely give it again. We stood in the pit and afterwards we all had to sit down for a minute for all our feet hurt. After the show, we went back to our place of residence for the trip as our fourth day of our London trip came to an end. A very successful day I might add. A fitting end to an enjoyable day.

July 10th, by Hannah

I woke up late and decided to walk to Big Ben.  I stopped by Pret A Manger and got an awesome croissant and kept walking….in the opposite direction. So I made a giant loop and hit 10,000 steps by 3 o’clock ( only one hour of walking). While in the wrong place, I did snag a picture of our beloved Bard (see below). I went back and relaxed before a group of us (Tyler, Ryan, Mitch, Conner and Kelly) took the tube over to Leicester square and ate at the Salisbury Pub.

Kelly and Tyler met up with AJ and Conner while going to get a ticket for Tyler for a show that night. they then ate at a nice place called La Chandelle by Leicester Square. All four went to the V&A museum, but Kelly and Tyler left earlier than Conner and AJ.

On the V&A Museum, AJ said, “I saw one of Rachel Kneebone one’s porcelain sculptures. They’re known for their sense if motion in an otherwise placid art medium. Masses of limbs form a tower that cracks and reveals parts of it’s own insides. That you can see the inside seemed to be a commentary of some sort on the perceived sturdiness of monuments. Most interesting thing was the recent modern acquisitions room that changes based on current events. It had a pink hat on display of the make people wore on the Women’s March on Washington, and it had a pamphlet that featured heavily in the talks that lead up to Brexit.”

AJ also got something at the museum’s cafe (it was the first Museum to have one), and had a sit down at a shallow fountain and soaked his feet a minute.

That night, Kelly and I saw 42nd Street. You can read my small, quick review on it under Shows.

Tyler went to see Our Ladies of Perpetual Succour that night. On the show, he said, “The show was interesting. it was loud, raunchy, and different. I don’t think I would see it again because the content of the show did not appeal to me. it was about a cohort of rebellious, catholic schoolgirls dealing with sex, alcoholism, and homosexuality. All while doing this, the set designer never failed to put a Jesus Christ figurine in the background to remind everyone “who is watching.”  There were good parts and bad, but it was enjoyable for seeing a show by myself.”

Mitch worked on his little blurb for Nigel’s Pepys entry, and then went with Ryan to work on their walking tour. Mitch and Nigel got some sandwiches at the grocery store,and once they got back, he read his book, A Clockwork Orange, until it was time to leave for the show. Nigel had to work on homework for most of the day, unfortunately.

Ryan got breakfast pretty early in the morning, read some of his Lord of the Rings book and enjoyed the outdoors. He also worked on preparing his walking tour. Mitch, Conner and Ryan all went to see Bat out of Hell.

Was loud, tech was excellent and very fun to watch. Good use of Meat Loafs album and an interesting way to use themes of Peter Pan”-Mitch

“Was loud beyond all reason, supported by only technical elements, and not nearly worth the three hours it consumed.”-Conner

We all met up after our shows and returned for the night to relax after a very full day.

July 11th, by A.J.

July 11, Nigel, Burns, and I started the day around 7:30 in the morning to grab some breakfast provided by the hotel and otherwise prepare ourselves for the group’s trip to the Tower of London. We embarked from the hotel at 9:30 to our destination in the hopes of beating the crowds, which worked out quite well. Entry onto the grounds proceeded with no problem and we made our way to an alcove up some stairs to the right of the entrance to grab our audio guides.

One of the buildings on the grounds we had the opportunity to step inside was the Wakefield Tower, one of the oldest parts of the medieval palace. King Henry III ordered the tower built in 1220 and it was part of a new, riverside palace for when the King and Queen stayed at the Tower. This room was made private and separated from the chapel by a wooden screen. The painted decoration, textiles, screen and thrown are all modern replicas, though they were all copied from real objects.

One of, if not the, most popular draws to the Tower is the site where they hold the Crown Jewels and other ceremonial objects used in coronations. Through a series of dark rooms, one walks by pools of light under which anointment spoons, sceptres, and orbs shine until groups file onto two escalators on either side of a long room. As one drifts to the other side of the room, one passes by display cases within are, it is advertised, the actual crowns of monarchs past; a Yeomen guard in the middle of the jewels, keeping watch.

Historically, there were many ravens living around the Tower and there is a legend that calamity will befall should all the ravens leave the tower. As such, it is tradition to keep six ravens on on the Tower grounds at all times; with two emergency ravens held in another location. To this day, ravens are closely associated with the Tower, and they featured heavily at the tourist shop nearby the enclosures.

Within the shop, you could find this lovely little contraption where you turned a crank to reenact this bloodless symbol of all the torture and death that had happened where so many were executed. I spent a great deal longer puttering around the shop than the others to grab a souvenir guidebook for somebody back home. That and the first book in what I assume is a trilogy framed around the niece of a raven-keeper to the Tower of London, because I’m a sucker for picking up niche information through sclock-y fiction.

While others had slowly filtered out of the Tower, I was there long enough for the crowds to really start pouring in and caught some historical reenactors performing before the throngs before I made my exit around 4pm. This was my first experience of getting around London without the group, but Hannah and Kelly were so kind as to text me the general vicinity of a nearby tube station.

I was the last back to the hotel, where we all stayed put to work on coursework until leaving again around 5pm to give us time to get lost if we needed to in in finding the Barbican Theatre, as well as eat a meal before we saw The Tempest. The consensus as to what we experienced was mixed; which rather captured the feeling I was getting from the rest of the audience, and even overheard two men talking about how the show had been merely “alright”. It had not been a bad show by any means, but its technical spectacle overshadowed the rest of the production. Afterwards, we all returned to the hotel.

July 12th, by Ryan

A.J., Mitch and I all left about 10:30am from Bankside hoping to get a good solid plan down for our walking tour. We had a few things we wanted to take a look at and make sure they we as a group had to make a solid route we wanted to take. We made a decision not to have our tour be exactly how it was on the map, it was dull and needed improving. After we finished coming up with our lay out we stopped off at Wagamama’s for good conversation and to talk about what Dr. Schmitz had planned for us because it was a big surprise.

Tyler, Hannah, Connor and Kelly had a free day to travel, they rode the tube to Knightsbridge where Hannah, Conner and Kelly went to Harrods, a major shopping destination for Londoners and spent most of the exploring, while Tyler went to the Big and Tall store to buy a new belt after he accidentally broke his the night before. They all came back to enjoy the evening with the rest of the group.

Nigel worked on coursework, such as the Romeo and Juliet review and other things. “Some people say that he still works to this very day”- A.J. O’shea.

We all met out front of Bankside at 5:30 and waited for Professor Schmitz and the event she had for us. When she arrived we discussed the upcoming things we would have to be taking care of such as the rest of our expert topics and that A.J., Mitch and I would be doing our walking tour on 7/14/17 of Fleet Street.

Right before we left Connor gave his expert topic on the Tate Modern here is his excerpt:

“Tate modern was once a derelict power station along bankside and it was decided by the city that they wanted to use the grounds to create an art gallery. The Funds were raised via wealthy donors and in 1995 Tate Modern opened. The first year it opened it received 5.25 mill visitors. It is currently the third most popular attraction in England. Recently completed expansions that cost 260 million pounds which began in 2004 and was finished in 2016.”

After we heard about the Tate Modern from Connor we were on our way to the Battersea Arts Centre and watched an amazing performance called Extravaganza Macabre, here is what the website mentioned about the show:

“A freak storm parts two passionate lovers and sets them on a path of cruel fate and hapless chance.  Will they ever be reunited or will our scheming villain have his wicked way? Howl at the horror and gasp at the gallantry in a tale of unbearably high stakes, unspeakable moral lows and double lashings of devilish over-the-toppery.”

The company that put on the show was made up of only three people who all worked together and graduated from their respective college in Theatre and realized to get what they fully wanted they had to start making it for themselves and the whole so was a piece that they made themselves.

We all left that night and headed back to Bankside making it a full day for all of us and we were all looking forward to the next adventure!